First published in 1598, this survey provides a detailed account of the buildings, social conditions and customs of London in Elizabethan times. A second edition was produced in 1603. The third edition published in 1618 had additions by Anthony Munday. A fourth edition with additions by Munday and Humphrey Dyson appeared in 1633.
- In Collection:
- Call Number: DA680 S87 1633
- 8 unnumbered pages, 939 [that is 943], 29 unnumbered pages : coats of arms; 35 cm (folio)
- Stow's survey of London; Remains or remnants of divers worthy things
- The survey of London : contayning the orignall, increase, moderne estate, and government of that city, methodically set downe : with a memoriall of those famouser acts of charity, which for publicke and pious uses have beene bestowed by many worshipfull citizens and benefactors, as also all the ancient and moderne monuments erected in the churches, not onely of those two famous cities, London and Westminster, but (now newly added) foure miles compasse
- The survey of London : contayning the orignall, increase, moderne estate, and government of that city, methodically set downe : with a memoriall of those famouser acts of charity, which for publicke and pious uses have beene bestowed by many worshipfull citizens and benefactors, as also all the ancient and moderne monuments erected in the churches, not onely of those two famous cities, London and Westminster, but (now newly added) foure miles compasse / begunne first by the paines and industry of Iohn Stovv, in the yeere 1598 ; afterwards inlarged by the care and diligence of A.M. in the yeere 1618 ; and now completely finished by the study and labour of A.M. ; H.D., and others, this present yeere 1633, whereunto, besides many additions (as appeares by the contents) are annexed divers alphabeticall tables, especially two ; the first, an index of things ; the second, a concordance of names.
- 51.50853, -0.12574
- Conserved by Meadland Bindery (2014).
- A⁸ B-2X⁶ 2Y⁶(±2Y2,3,4,5+chi4) 2Z-4I⁶ 4K⁶(±4K6) 4L-4M⁴ 4N⁶. chi gathering marked "Yy" Yy2"; Leaf 4K6 is a cancel; cancel has notes from Henry Marten on bottom of page 939, cancelland (variant) is blank below the sentence ending: Rushes, foure pence.
- The words "survey" and "London" in the title are xylographic; Leaf A1v bears the arms of London; Paging irregular; no. 527-534 repeated, no. 653-654 and 771-772 omitted; Text and register appear continuous despite pagination; Variant of title page lacks "H.D. and others"; Page  is a special title page: The remains or remnants of divers worthy things, which should have had their due place and honour in this worke, if promising friends had kept their words, but they failing, and part of them comming to my hands by other good meanes, they are here inserted, to accompany my perambulation foure miles about London. London : Printed by Elizabeth Purlow and are to bee sold by Nicholas Bourne..., 1633; Head and tail pieces, initials; Includes indexes.
- Early Printed Books Collection
- Gift of Janelle Jenstad (2014).
- Indexed in: ESTC, S117597; STC (2nd ed.), 23345
- May 3, 2013 to May 14, 2013
- 600 dpi TIFF. Scanned on Plustek by SC and KM. Metadata by JTP and KD.
- Contact Special Collections and University Archives for access to the original manuscript and for reproduction requests (fee for reproductions). This material is made available on this site for research and private study only.
This page supports the Zotero and Mendeley browser extensions simply click on the extension widget in your browser to save the objects citation.