Grant by Petrus Veremudi of Andradi to the Monastery of Saint John of Calvary of all his inheritance around the church of Saint Eulalia at Bureganes, and other inheritances including lands near the church of Saint Martinus at Porto and near Monte Nigro, on condition that a daily mass should be said for his soul and for the sins he had committed in the Monastery of St. John and in other places. The grant is to be placed in the hands of the Abbot Martinus, and is made for the benefit of those clerics who persevere in the holy life. The document concludes with the extraordinary admonition that "if any one of my lineage or anyone else should violate the provisions of this document may curse and excommunication and malediction befall him and may he be damned in hell like Judas and may he be accursed unto the seventh generation". The document has the names of two witnesses, Matthias and Gundisaius (i.e. Gonzales), and is confirmed at the foot in the name of the donor, and is signed by the scribe Johannes with his name and his large notarial mark of a decorated cross. Dated in the reign of King Alfonso (Alfonso IX, last king of Leon, 1188-1250), during the Archbishopric of Bernardus and in the see of Martinus, Bishop of Mondonedo.
- In Collection:
- Shelf Mark: Doc.Brown.2
- 13 lines on vellum; ca. 5 1/2 x 1 ins. [140 x 410 mm]; indented at the foot.
- In an attractive large hand, very slightly browned and rubbed in places; a handsome document in good clear condition.
- Medieval and Early Modern Manuscripts Collection
- Donated by Bruce and Dorothy Brown.
- Bruce and Dorothy Brown Collection
- Special Collection Inventory: https://www.uvic.ca/library/locations/home/spcoll/collections/medieval/inventory.php.
- Archival finding aid: https://www.uvic.ca/library/locations/home/spcoll/findaids/brown_collection_manuscripts.pdf
- February 23, 2012
- Metadata by KD.
- Contact Special Collections and University Archives for access to the original manuscript and for reproduction requests (fee for reproductions). This material is made available on this site for research and private study only.
This page supports the Zotero and Mendeley browser extensions simply click on the extension widget in your browser to save the objects citation.