Description by Martha Thompson (2016): Textual Remarks: Main text is from Book I of the Latin translation of Aristotle's De caelo by Gerard of Cremona (d. 1187). It begins midway through the first chapter (1.1) and ends in the opening section of the second chapter (1.2). Latin text is available in the footnotes of Paul Hossfeld’s edition of Albert the Great’s De caelo et mundo, pp. 5-11; Albert used this Aristotle translation as a source.
- In Collection:
- Shelf Mark: Fragm.Lat.5
- 1 leaf ; 180 x 160 mm
- Aristotle, De caelo (On the Heavens), trans. Gerard of Cremona
- 46, 2
- Description by Martha Thompson (2016):Codicology:A single leaf of parchment, cut into two pieces. Edges have been trimmed, and leaf shows discoloration from previous use as a pastedown in a later binding. Other physical damage includes creasing in the lower half of leaf, with small holes (approx. 1-2mm) at lowest crease (below the cut). Cut and creases likely appear where leaf was bent around a spine in binding use.1 column, 26 lines with glosses in bottom, left, and right margins; no pricking visible.Leadpoint ruling visible for main text block and margins; text below top line.Paleography:Main text written by one hand in a small, gothic script (France?), single column with wide margins to allow glossing. Marginal text, likely a second hand, is tiny, cursive, and more highly abbreviated. Ink has deteriorated and faded significantly in margins, but main text is mostly intact.Decoration:Alternating red and blue paraphs in main text on both recto and verso, though blue pigment has faded. Double-line guide marks in black ink visible beneath paraphs.
- Medieval and Early Modern Manuscripts Collection
- Purchased through Erik Kwakkel in July 2006 from the collection of Herman Mulder (Hombeek, Belgium).
- Accession Number: 2006-023, Item: 5
- Archival Finding Aid: https://uvic2.coppul.archivematica.org/medieval-studies-collection
- Special Collections Inventory: https://www.uvic.ca/library/locations/home/spcoll/collections/medieval/fragm-lat-5.php
- Fragmentarium: https://fragmentarium.ms/overview/F-4kmv
- Description and transcription of main text completed by Martha Thompson, as part of coursework for a manuscript studies class with Dr. Adrienne Williams Boyarin (ENGL), April 2016 available here: https://www.uvic.ca/library/locations/home/spcoll/documents/fragm.lat.5.pdf
- Scanned on Betterlight/TTI at 600 dpi TIFF (1/15; 263; bent5 tone; height 700) by PD. Metadata by KD.
- This material is made available on this site for research and private study only.
This page supports the Zotero and Mendeley browser extensions simply click on the extension widget in your browser to save the objects citation.