Obverse side shows an enthroned figure flanked by two standards held by heraldic lion and unicorn surrounded by Latin text: "[break]DEI GR[ ]TIA MAGNAE BRITANNIA [blank portion] FRANCIAE ET HIBER.REX FIDEI DEFENSO [back at break]". Reverse side shows a knight on a charger flourishing a drawn sword with a greyhound running alongside horse. Coat of arms (undecipherable through wear) in upper left quarter. Text: "[break]FIDEI DEFENSOR MAGNVS BRITANNIAE [illegible portion] HIBERNIAE REX FIDEI [back at break]".
- In Collection:
- Shelf Mark: Seal.Brown.1
- Dark green wax seal; diameter 147 x 10-17 mm thickness; over two vellum tags (250 x 36 mm).
- 65 x 15 mm portion missing from upper edge with loss of text on both sides; square hole (2 1/2 mm) in right margin [to test for melting point?].
- Medieval and Early Modern Manuscripts Collection
- Antique Shop in Hartingford Bury, U.K. Donated by Bruce and Dorothy Brown.
- Bruce and Dorothy Brown Collection
- Archival finding aid: https://www.uvic.ca/library/locations/home/spcoll/findaids/brown_collection_manuscripts.pdf
- Special Collection Inventory: https://www.uvic.ca/library/locations/home/spcoll/collections/medieval/inventory.php.
- February 23, 2012
- Latin text: "[break]DEI GR[ ]TIA MAGNAE BRITANNIA [blank portion] FRANCIAE ET HIBER.REX FIDEI DEFENSO [back at break]"; Text: "[break]FIDEI DEFENSOR MAGNVS BRITANNIAE [illegible portion] HIBERNIAE REX FIDEI [back at break]".
- Metadata by KD.
- Contact Special Collections and University Archives for access to the original manuscript and for reproduction requests (fee for reproductions). This material is made available on this site for research and private study only.
This page supports the Zotero and Mendeley browser extensions simply click on the extension widget in your browser to save the objects citation.