Fragment of Constantine the African's Liber dietarium universalium et particularium (a Latin translation of Isaac Israeli's Arabic Kita?b al-aghdhiya), a standard text in the medieval medical curriculum. This leaf includes the beginning of the third section on "particulars",� on the medicinal and dietary uses of melon, cucumber, squash, watermelon, and lettuce.
- In Collection:
- Shelf Mark: Fragm.Lat.4
- 1 sheet; parchment (half a bifolium); 255 x 150 (170 x 115) mm
- Parchment sheet (half a bifolium) that has been trimmed on one of the long sides, probably because it was cut out of a book (see irregular edge on the left side of the initial 'L' for 'Lactuce'); used as a wrapper around a booklet of modest proportions (the folds and stitch holes on both the left and the right of the letters 'c' in the margin mark the outlines of the back of this unknown volume); parchment of mediocre quality (as shown by the hole and the 'transparent' patch in lower margin, which are original); ruling visible (plummet); pricking survives in upper margin only; several reference letters ('c') in margin on recto indicating what initial the illuminator needed to produce; main text and rubrics by one scribe (littera textualis, 1250-1300), who worked in France, possibly in the south; initials with penwork flourishing.
- Medieval and Early Modern Manuscripts Collection
- Purchased through Erik Kwakkel in July 2006 from the collection of Herman Mulder (Hombeek, Belgium), who bought it from Antiquariaat Moon Beams, Maastricht, the Netherlands, on May 31, 1994.
- 2006-023, Item 4
- Medieval Studies Collection
- Special Collection Inventory: https://www.uvic.ca/library/locations/home/spcoll/collections/medieval/inventory.php.
- Archival finding aid: https://uvic2.coppul.archivematica.org/medieval-studies-collection
- February 23, 2012
- Introduction, description, and transcription by James Kendrick completed in partial fulfillment of the requirement for the degree of Master of Arts, University of Victoria, Department of English, November 2016, available here: https://www.uvic.ca/library/locations/home/spcoll/documents/fragm-lat-4.pdf
- Metadata by KD.
- Contact Special Collections and University Archives for access to the original manuscript and for reproduction requests (fee for reproductions). This material is made available on this site for research and private study only.
This page supports the Zotero and Mendeley browser extensions simply click on the extension widget in your browser to save the objects citation.
|Liber dietarium universalium et particularium 01 - Recto||2020-01-17||Public||
|Liber dietarium universalium et particularium 02 - Verso||2020-01-17||Public||