Katharine Maltwood's gray linen notebook/sketchbook. Katharine Maltwood used this sketchbook as Katharine Sapsworth (her maiden name), before her marriage to John Maltwood. Katharine Sapsworth's signature ("K.E Sapsworth") is located inside the front cover. The notebook is dated April 24, 1898. The sketchbook contains various notes and sketches, primarily hand-drawn or written in pencil. Much of the sketchbooks contents relate to religious and historical people, places, and art. Includes notes relating to Saint Catherine of Bologna (died March 9, 1463) and Saint Catherine of Alexandria (died c. 305 CE -- though notes in sketchbook indicate a death date of "307 AD"). Also includes a pencil sketch drawing of a bird in a circular motif (perhaps a study of a broach, belt buckle or other metalwork) as well as handwritten notes and a drawing of a woman's head and upper torso, a pencil sketch of knight's armour and indicating in handwriting, "Armour Allamande 1560 - 1580.", a pencil sketch of a tree, and a (unfinished?) sketch of what may possibly be an amphitheater or henge.
- In Collection:
- 1 sketchbook, 4 pages
- Katharine Maltwood's Gray Linen Notebook
- Art History notes by K.E. Maltwood
- Katharine Maltwood Collection
- Donor: John Maltwood
- Katharine Maltwood fonds
- Finding aid for archival fonds: https://www.uvic.ca/library/locations/home/spcoll/findaids/maltwood_inventory.pdf
- February 7, 2015
- Digitized by Robbyn Gordon Lanning. Technical and cataloguing metadata provided by Robbyn Gordon Lanning. Migration metadata by KD.
- Contact Special Collections and University Archives for access to the original manuscript and for reproduction requests (email@example.com). This material is made available on this site for research and private study only.
This page supports the Zotero and Mendeley browser extensions simply click on the extension widget in your browser to save the objects citation.