Grant pertaining to rent and tenancy on parchment. Grant by Simon Bonde, citizen of London, and his wife Johanna, to Thomas son of Simon Dolseley, citizen and piperarius (pepperer or spicer) of London, of the rent from a tenement with its appurtenances in Cordwainer Street in the parish of St. Mary Aldermary. The list of seven witnesses includes John Not, Mayor of London in 1364, and Nicholas Chaucer. The list of witnesses is preceded by the statement that Simon Franceys is now Mayor of London, and Thomas de Brandon and Walter le Forestier, sheriffs. There is a note on the verso that the charter was read and enrolled in the Husting Court of Common Pleas on 16 May 1356. London, 3 May 30 Edward III. (1356). -- Maggs catalogue description. Dated 3 May 1356 (30 Edward III), and marked on verso as read and enrolled in the Husting Court of Common Pleas on 16 May 1356 (i.e., the Monday before the feast of St. Dunstan).
- In Collection:
- Shelf Mark: Doc.Brown.3
- 1 leaf parchment or vellum; 13.5 or 14 lines; 29.5 x 13.5mm.
- London Charter; Simon Bonde, Grant
- 51.50853, -0.12574
- Latin script in dark brown ink in one English documentary cursive hand. Stylized capital 'S' at the beginning of grant (crossed with four points). Further notes on people and place names housed with document. Two parchment seal tags intact but lacking seals (remnants of red wax visible on each). Evidence of one horizontal fold (mid-level) and two vertical folds show that the document was once folded. Additional notes on verso (3.5 lines plus endorsements). Signature on verso: 'lucas'.
- Medieval and Early Modern Manuscripts Collection
- Donated to the University of Victoria by Bruce and Dorothy Brown in 1991. Purchased by the Browns from Maggs Bros. Ltd. (London).
- Bruce and Dorothy Brown Collection
- Special Collection Inventory: https://www.uvic.ca/library/locations/home/spcoll/collections/medieval/inventory.php.
- Archival finding aid: https://www.uvic.ca/library/locations/home/spcoll/findaids/brown_collection_manuscripts.pdf
- February 23, 2012
- Transcription and summary description by Alanna Blackall, as part of coursework for a manuscript studies class with Dr. Adrienne Williams Boyarin (ENGL), April 2015, is available here: https://www.uvic.ca/library/locations/home/spcoll/documents/doc-brown-3.pdf
- Metadata by KD.
- Contact Special Collections and University Archives for access to the original manuscript and for reproduction requests (fee for reproductions). This material is made available on this site for research and private study only.
This page supports the Zotero and Mendeley browser extensions simply click on the extension widget in your browser to save the objects citation.