Elizabeth I, Privy Council LetterPublic
Privy Council Letter of her reign, addressed to the High Sheriff and Commissioners for the Musters of the County of Norfolk, ordering them to levy a force of 100 men to serve in Ireland because of "the contynuance of the troubles there", Richmond, 15 Jan. 1599. Signed by Sir Thomas Egerton, later Lord Ellesmere, Master of the Rolls; Thomas Sackville, Lord Buckhurst, the poet, Lord Treasurer; Charles Howard, Earl of Nottingham, who had held chief command against the Armada, Lord High Admiral; George Carey, Lord Hunsdon, Elizabeth's cousin, Lord Chamberlain; Roger North, Treasurer of the Queen's Household; William Knollys, Comptroller of the Queen's Household; Robert Cecil, later Earl of Salisbury, Secretary of State; Sir John Fortescue, Chancellor of the Exchequer and Sir John Popham, Lord Chief Justice. -- description from Vendor Catalog (Maggs Catalogue)
- In Collection:
- Banbury, William Knollys, Earl of, 1547-1632
- Nottingham, Charles Howard, Earl of, approximately 1536-1624
- Dorset, Thomas Sackville, Earl of, 1536-1608
- Dorset, Charles Sackville, Earl of, 1638?-1706
- North, Roger, Baron, 1530-1600
- Ellesmere, Thomas Egerton, Baron, 1540?-1617
- Elizabeth I, Queen of England, 1533-1603
- Salisbury, Robert Cecil, Earl of, 1563-1612
- Popham, John, Sir, 1531?-1607
- Fortescue, John, Sir, 1531?-1607
- Shelf Mark: Doc.Brown.8
- 2 pages folio; 336 x 463 mm; with integral address leaf
- Elizabeth I (1533-1603), Queen of England
- 52.66667, 1
- 53, -8
- Folded once, letter on the two sides of one of the resulting leaves, the address on one side of the other leaf. Seal tear professionally repaired.
- Medieval and Early Modern Manuscripts Collection
- Donated by Bruce and Dorothy Brown.
- Archival finding aid: https://www.uvic.ca/library/locations/home/spcoll/findaids/brown_collection_manuscripts.pdf
- Special Collection Inventory: https://www.uvic.ca/library/locations/home/spcoll/collections/medieval/inventory.php.
- February 23, 2012
- Metadata by KD.
- Contact Special Collections and University Archives for access to the original manuscript and for reproduction requests (fee for reproductions). This material is made available on this site for research and private study only.
This page supports the Zotero and Mendeley browser extensions simply click on the extension widget in your browser to save the objects citation.
|Elizabeth I, Privy Council Letter 01 - Recto||2020-01-17||Public||
|Elizabeth I, Privy Council Letter 02 - Verso||2020-01-17||Public||
|Elizabeth I, Privy Council Letter 03 - Address||2020-01-17||Public||