Surveyed by Capt. Richards and the officers of the H.M.S. Plumber in 1858 and the interior from a survey by Pemberton in 1860, this map shows the Esquimalt Harbour and surrounding land of the Esquimalt District. Includes detailed relief marks along the coast of the harbour and on the hills namely Mill Hill, Seymour Hill, Signal Hill and Rod Hill. District Boundary Lines are shown for the adjacent Lake and Victoria Districts and there is information about the tides, winds, and the location of the Fisgard Lighthouse under the map's title. There is a government reserve and War Dept. Property areas along with some notes on the water about what colour the light shows in that area. Soundings are recorded in feet throughout the water. The islands, coves, bays, points, passes, and capes in the harbour are present and named along with the heights of land and where the settlements and buildings like hospitals and Thetis Cottage are. Some of the features of interest include Coburg Peninsula, Salt Lagoon, Fisgard Island, Belmont, Yew Point, Dunns Nook, Macarthy Island, Smart Island, Patterson Point, Cole Island, Richards Island, Thetis Cove, Inskip Island, Paddy's Pass, Dallas Bank, Constance Cove, Pilgrim Cove, Lang Cove, Thetis Island, Dantze Head, and Brothers Islands.
- In Collection:
- Historical Map Society of B.C. Map Number: 1632
- LSV Number: 4T1CH
- 1 sheet ; 62 x 109 cm
- North America West Coast Vancouver Island Esquimalt Harbour Surveyed by Capt. G.H. Richards & the Officers of H.M.S. Plumper 1858 the Interior Survey by J.D. Pember ton ESQre. Surveyor General 1860.
- 48.43753, -123.44191
- Scale: Natural Scale 1/7296; Soundings in Feet
- Land Title and Survey Authority of British Columbia Maps
- Surveyor General of BC, Legal Surveys Vault
- 300 dpi; Metadata by KD
- This material is owned by the Land Title and Survey Authority of British Columbia (LTSA). The Cartographic Record of this digital image is in the possession of the Surveyor General Division, LTSA.Any reproduction of this material must credit the Land Title and Survey Authority of British Columbia as the source for this record.To purchase high-resolution scanned files of these maps and plans, contact email@example.com. Request should cite the LTSA Surveyor General's Vault map number (eg. 16T1 Land Reserves).
This page supports the Zotero and Mendeley browser extensions simply click on the extension widget in your browser to save the objects citation.