Surveyed by Capt. Richards and the officers of the H.M.S. Plumber in 1858 and the interior from a survey by Pemberton in 1860, this map shows the Esquimalt Harbour and surrounding land of the Esquimalt District. Includes detailed relief marks along the coast of the harbour and on the hills namely Mill Hill, Seymour Hill, Signal Hill and Rod Hill. District Boundary Lines are shown for the adjacent Lake and Victoria Districts and there is information about the tides, winds, and the location of the Fisgard Lighthouse under the map's title. There is a government reserve and War Dept. Property areas along with some notes on the water about what colour the light shows in that area. Soundings are recorded in feet throughout the water. The islands, coves, bays, points, passes, and capes in the harbour are present and named along with the heights of land and where the settlements and buildings like hospitals and Thetis Cottage are. Some of the features of interest include Coburg Peninsula, Salt Lagoon, Fisgard Island, Belmont, Yew Point, Dunns Nook, Macarthy Island, Smart Island, Patterson Point, Cole Island, Richards Island, Thetis Cove, Inskip Island, Paddy's Pass, Dallas Bank, Constance Cove, Pilgrim Cove, Lang Cove, Thetis Island, Dantze Head, and Brothers Islands.
- Historical Map Society of B.C. Map Number: 1632
- LSV Number: 4T1CH
- 1 sheet ; 62 x 109 cm
- North America West Coast Vancouver Island Esquimalt Harbour Surveyed by Capt. G.H. Richards & the Officers of H.M.S. Plumper 1858 the Interior Survey by J.D. Pemberton ESQre. Surveyor General 1860.
- 48.43753, -123.44191
- 48.43372, -123.41147
- Scale: Natural Scale 1/7296; Soundings in Feet
- Land Title and Survey Authority of British Columbia: Early British Columbia Maps
- Surveyor General of BC, Legal Surveys Vault
- January 15, 2013
- Cataloguing metadata: Provided by the LTSA and adapted by the University of Victoria Libraries to their requirements.
- For permission to publish or otherwise reproduce, or to purchase a high-resolution digital file, please contact the LTSA at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reproductions must credit the LTSA as the source and cite the Surveyor General Vault map number or other unique identifier listed on this catalogue record.
This page supports the Zotero and Mendeley browser extensions simply click on the extension widget in your browser to save the objects citation.