A wooden signboard of the Lequn Yishu - East classroom. Trophies are lined below the board. Located outside of a classroom in the Chinese Public School (636 Fisgard Street, Victoria, B.C.) on the second floor at end of hallway to the right. Photo taken for the Chinese Public School picture collection. Taken on May 9, 2012. In 1899 the Chinese community in Victoria, B.C. organized a fund raising campaign to establish a Chinese school. The school was first located on the third floor of the old building of the Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association (CCBA) on 554-560 Fisgard Street. It was named Lequn Yishu (乐群义塾, Free School Enjoyed by Public). In 1909, CCBA completed a new building at 636 Fisgard Street to expand the original Lequn Yishu in response to racial and cultural segregation imposed by the school board and government. Lequn Yishu was renamed Daqing Qiaomin Gongli Xuetang (大清侨民公立学堂, Greater Qing Imperial Overseas Residence Public School) and it was changed into Huaqiao Gongli Xuexiao (华侨公立学校, Chinese Public School) since 1912.
- 1 colour photograph
- Sign of the Lequn Yishu -- East
- 48.4294, -123.3679
- 48.4359, -123.35155
- Victoria’s Chinatown, a gateway to the past and present of Chinese Canadians
- Victoria's Chinatown Project Website: https://chinatown.library.uvic.ca/index.html
- 4752 x 3168, Canon EOS Rebel T1i. Images supplied by Victoria's Chinatown project. Metadata by GF. Migration metadata by MT.
- These images are provided for research use only. These images are provided with the consent of the Chinese Public School and cannot be reproduced or copied without permission. For more information, contact Dr. Zhongping Chen at firstname.lastname@example.org
This page supports the Zotero and Mendeley browser extensions simply click on the extension widget in your browser to save the objects citation.