"This is a remarkable manuscript. Introduced by an illuminated frontispiece of Emperor Frederick III enthroned and surrounded by his electors, this volume is an example of a book copied in Germany that includes a text in Middle English, an almost unique phenomenon. Its compiler(s) exhibit a sophisticated interest in history, especially the history of the Holy Roman Empire, with an emphasis on Cologne. Its contents include abbreviated chronicles (mostly quite rare) and catalogs of bishops, archbishops, and ruling princes, numerous epitaphs, and the English Act of Accord of 1460. After copying, it was annotated and perfected by later hands until the end of the fifteenth century. Why and for whom it was made, and its exact relationship to a historical miscellany now in Hamburg with similar contents, are just some of the questions that remain to be answered." -- Description from Les Enluminures website.
- In Collection:
- Call Number: DD126 A44 1457
- Shelf Mark: Ms.Lat.9
- 95 folios, preceded by a single and followed by 2 paper flyleaves : illuminations, portrait, coats of arms ; 23 x 17 cm.
- Reminder of the Prerogative of the Roman Empire
- 46, 2
- 50.93333, 6.95
- 51.5, 10.5
- 49, 11.5
- 41.8925, 12.48499
- Bound in deerskin over wood boards, back sewn on four bands (not its original binding, although binding is a period binding, here reused), front and back covers worn, cracking along the upper joint. Damaged in the upper and inner margin, opening folio and edges of many leaves damaged, small tear upper margin ff. 62-63, but overall fair condition with the text undamaged and legible. Written in a variety of hands, mostly in very small formal cursive gothic bookhands ... contemporary marginal annotations and early additions throughout, some dated, often copied on small strips of paper bound in, red rubrics, some red paragraph marks, some guide letters, numerous capitals stroked in red, one-to five-line initials alternating red and blue, approximately 35 small colored armorial shields found in the margins, ... two small miniatures ... one heraldic composition with 8 colored armorial shields (f. 17v), one full-page wash-colored pen drawing of Emperor Frederick III surrounded by the seven imperial electors and with armorial shields and inscriptions. -- Description from Les Enluminures website.
- Medieval and Early Modern Manuscripts Collection
- Purchased from Les Enlumieres
- Special Collection Inventory: https://www.uvic.ca/library/locations/home/spcoll/collections/medieval/inventory.php
- November 19, 2019
- Transcription of fol. 15r (start of the 25 October 1460 Act of Accord) by Shaylene Keddy, as part of coursework for a manuscript studies course with Dr. Adrienne Williams Boyarin (ENGL), December 2018, is available here: https://www.uvic.ca/library/locations/home/spcoll/documents/ms-lat-9_keddy-eisner.pdf
- 600 dpi TIFF. Item scanned on TTI/Betterlight (1/20; 283; bent5 tone profile; camera height 500). Metadata by KD.
- Contact Special Collections and University Archives for access to the original manuscript and for reproduction requests (fee for reproductions). This material is made available on this site for research and private study only.
This page supports the Zotero and Mendeley browser extensions simply click on the extension widget in your browser to save the objects citation.