Headquarters of the Chinese Reform Association at Victoria, B.C.Public
Shows a three-storey Edwardian era building built in 1905 at 1715 Government Street. Sign on building reads: 1905, The First Chinese Empire Reform Assn. The Chinese Empire Reform Association (CERA Chinese: 保皇会; also was known as 中国维新会） started during the late Qing Dynasty by former statesman and eminent scholar, Kang Yu Wei (1858-1927) (simplified Chinese: 康有为; traditional Chinese: 康有為). A monarchist organization, his movement was spurred through attempts to save the declining Manchu Empire. Due to groups who opposed his quest, Kang fled to Canada, setting up headquarters in Victoria on 20 July 1899. The site was purchased by CERA supporters, Lee Folk Gay (李福基) and Chu Lai. The rear of the building housed the Quong Man Fun Opium Factory. Catalogue number: HP039976; Association number: 193501-001.
- 1 black and white photograph
- Headquarters of the Chinese Empire Reform Association at Victoria, B.C.
- 48.4294, -123.3679
- 48.4359, -123.35155
- Victoria’s Chinatown, a gateway to the past and present of Chinese Canadians
- Victoria's Chinatown Project Website: https://chinatown.library.uvic.ca/index.html
- Digitized by BC Archives. 300 dpi jpg, no colour correction. Archived in Cataloguing on server. Cataloguing metadata provided by MH. Migration metadata by MT.
- This material is made available on this site for research and private study only. These images are provided with the consent of the BC Archives, and cannot be reproduced or copied without their permission.
This page supports the Zotero and Mendeley browser extensions simply click on the extension widget in your browser to save the objects citation.
|Headquarters of the Chinese Reform Association at Victoria, B.C.||Public||