J.M. - Sketches of War First VolumePublic
One of two volumes consisting of 123 pen-and-ink drawings and watercolours from two volumes titled: "Sketches of the War: France/Belgium" and is dedicated in a pasted in letter: "To my Daughter Adele." The sketches vary from satirical cartoons to more detailed and naturalistic renditions. They are often accompanied by an ironic title and are often signed with the artist's initials, "J.M." The artist's satirical targets include the officers and high command of both combatant sides; the disjuncture between reported and actual events, and the death of civilians as a fact of modern warfare.
- 1 volume (64 pages) ; 36 x 26.5 cm
- Sketches of the War: France/Belgium
- Sketches of War First Volume
- 46, 2
- 50.75, 4.5
- 1917 to 1918
- Colour illustrations in watercolour and pen and ink.
- JM's World War One Sketchbooks
- Victoria to Vimy First World War Collection
- Accession Number: 1997-012, Vol. 01
- Finding aid for Special Collections fonds: https://uvic2.coppul.archivematica.org/world-war-i-sketchbook-collection
- February 23, 2012
- 600 dpi TIFFs. Metadata by KD.
- This material may be protected by copyright. Personal use of this material is without restriction but acknowledgement of Special Collections and University Archives, University of Victoria is requested whether the use is oral, web or in print. Commercial use of any portion of this material requires permission from Special Collections and University Archives.
This page supports the Zotero and Mendeley browser extensions simply click on the extension widget in your browser to save the objects citation.
|Sketches of the War: Franace/Belgium, First Volume [title page]||2021-06-23||Public||
|To my daughter Adele... [dedication page]||2021-06-23||Public||
|No. 15 Rue de Boeschepe, Poperingue||2021-06-23||Public||
|French soldier on horseback||2021-06-23||Public||
|Dickebusch, Dressing Station||2021-06-23||Public||
|Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown. August 1918||2021-06-23||Public||
|On Mont Des Cats||2021-06-23||Public||
|Indian Graves on Mont Des Cats||2021-06-23||Public||