Letter of Thomas Jermy to William Paston (d. 1610) describing problems with theives. Sir William Paston was sheriff of Norfolk and Suffolk in 1565-1566. He was the head of the family of which earlier members wrote the well-known Paston Letters. He founded the Paston Grammar School at North Walsham, where he has a magnificent tomb.
- In Collection:
- Shelf Mark: Ms.Eng.2
- 1 sheet of paper; 37 lines; 300 x 420 mm
- Thomas Jermy to William Paston, Letter
- 52.66667, 1
- 52.16045, -0.70312
- 52.16667, 1
- Folded to make bifolium, writing on one side only, plus signature, with address and note of sender. Creasing and wear patterns suggest entire sheet was previously folded quite small with address on the outside. Letter and address are in one hand (Thomas Jermy's); note on sender ("Jarmes laste lettre") is possibly in William Paston's hand; initials and date notation of eighteenth-century Norfolk antiquarian Francis Blomefield are at foot of letter. Paper is somewhat stained and damaged, especially along fold lines, but damage has been stabilized by repairs, including grafted modern paper, notwithstanding minor text loss at lower right corner.
- Medieval and Early Modern Manuscripts Collection
- The letter was donated to University of Victoria in 1985 by Dorothy Sweet. She found it among the belongings of her parents, who had unknowingly inherited it (in chests of drawers with other abandoned papers) when they purchased their Cornwall home in 1953. Ownership before 1953 is unknown, though the letter clearly came into the hands of Francis Blomefield sometime before his death in 1752. Documents related to ownership history are housed with the letter.
- Medieval Studies Collection
- Archival finding aid: https://uvic2.coppul.archivematica.org/medieval-studies-collection
- Special Collection Inventory: https://www.uvic.ca/library/locations/home/spcoll/collections/medieval/inventory.php.
- February 23, 2012
- Transcriptions and description by Brenna Hussey, as part of coursework for a manuscript studies class with Dr. Adrienne Williams Boyarin (ENGL), April 2015, is available here: https://www.uvic.ca/library/locations/home/spcoll/documents/ms-eng-2.pdf
- Metadata by KD.
- Contact Special Collections and University Archives for access to the original manuscript and for reproduction requests (fee for reproductions). This material is made available on this site for research and private study only.
This page supports the Zotero and Mendeley browser extensions simply click on the extension widget in your browser to save the objects citation.
|Letter of Thomas Jermy to William Paston 01 - Recto||2020-01-17||Public||
|Letter of Thomas Jermy to William Paston 02 - Verso||2020-01-17||Public||