A map lithographed at the Topographical Depot of the War Office under the direction of Major A.C. Cooke and Col. H. James in 1859 showing the Mountain District on the east coast of Vancouver Island bordering the Nanimo and Cranberry Districts. The district is covered in a numbered grid and unsurveyed land and land belonging to the Hudson's Bay Company are labeled. Relief marks and sketches show the land cover and land forms. Named places include Departure Bay, Newcastle Island, Douglas Island, Exit Passage, Nanaimo Harbour, Colviletown, Chase River, Wakesiah or Taitooktan Mountain, Millstone or Tleltleltsa River, and the mouth of the Nanaimo River. Includes a small inset map that is an index to the districts found on the southern region of Vancouver Island.
- In Collection:
- 1 sheet ; 70 x 45 cm
- 49.16633, -124.02772
- 49.16638, -123.94003
- 49.65064, -125.44939
- Scale: 2 Inches - 1 Mile; 1:15,840
- Frank and Cecilia Sylvester Collection
- January 22, 2008 to January 30, 2008
- 600 dpi tif, Epson GT-15000 scanner, scanned by KSW, edited by CDW. Metadata created by KD.
- Contact Special Collections and University Archives for access to the original manuscript and for reproduction requests (email@example.com). Patrons may view the material through the Victoria's Early History Collection, but may not use images without permission of the University.
This page supports the Zotero and Mendeley browser extensions simply click on the extension widget in your browser to save the objects citation.
|Mountain District 01||2020-07-30||Public||