Indenture agreement concerning rights of lands related to marriage dowry of Elizabeth, daughter of John Machon
- In Collection:
- Shelf Mark: Ind.Eng.2
- 1 leaf ; 25 x 46 cm
- 53.7, -1.58333
- 53.59383, -1.31914
- Single sheet parchment, two seal tags with extant seal wrappers (but no seals). Two tags bear traces of small, red-wax seals, but seals are missing. Parchment seal covers (scraps with traces of writing on interior) remain. Secretary hand. Signature of John Machon on recto.One sheet of parchment with jagged top edge, part of a larger sheet on which the ‘indenture’ would have been copied out twice, the indented edge serving as a proof of authenticity of the two parts when brought back together. The item is in very good condition, although there is slight smudging on the upper and lower left of the sheet, as well as some minor fold-related damage near the middle. The text is ruled in plummet, with one vertical rule marking the left margin of the text block. Pricking is visible at both left and right margins. -- description from Ken Streutker, 2016
- Medieval and Early Modern Manuscripts Collection
- Special donation from Roger Bishop, 2011.
- Accession Number: 2011-045
- Special Collections Inventory: https://www.uvic.ca/library/locations/home/spcoll/collections/medieval/ind-eng-2.php
- August 16, 2022
- Description and transcription by Ken Streutker in partial fulfillment of the requirement for the degree of Master of Arts, University of Victoria, Department of English, August 2016, available here: https://www.uvic.ca/library/locations/home/spcoll/documents/ind-eng-2.pdf
- Scanned on Betterlight/TTI - 1/15; 283; bent5; camera 800 - 600DPI tiff archival scans by PD. Metadata by KD.
- Contact Special Collections and University Archives for access to the original. This material is made available on this site for research and private study only.
This page supports the Zotero and Mendeley browser extensions simply click on the extension widget in your browser to save the objects citation.