This item is a magazine clipping from The Illustrated London News entitled, "Televising the Holy Thorn, Scenes from Kingsthorn, Herefordshire, at Midnight on Christmas Eve, Old Style". The clipping features three black and white photographs, one of a crowd gathering around the Holy Thorn Tree at Christmas to witness its blooming, a second close up photograph of a sprig of the Holy Thorn Tree ready to bloom at Christmas Eve, and a third photograph of a young girl help by a woman (possibly her mother) being shown a sprig of the budding Holy Thorn. The brief article that accompanies the photographs describes several Holy Thorn trees in Herefordshire, basic elements of the Christian legend behind the tree's origins featuring Joseph of Arimathea, as well as local events related to the Christmas blooming of the sacred trees.
- In Collection:
- 1 newspaper clipping
- "Televising the Holy Thorn: scenes at Kingsthorn", Jan. 14th, 1950
- Katharine Maltwood Collection
- Donor: John Maltwood
- Katharine Maltwood fonds
- Finding aid for archival fonds: https://www.uvic.ca/library/locations/home/spcoll/findaids/maltwood_inventory.pdf
- February 7, 2015
- Digitized by Robbyn Gordon Lanning. Technical and cataloguing metadata provided by Robbyn Gordon Lanning. Migration metadata by KD.
- Contact Special Collections and University Archives for access to the original manuscript and for reproduction requests (email@example.com). This material is made available on this site for research and private study only.
This page supports the Zotero and Mendeley browser extensions simply click on the extension widget in your browser to save the objects citation.
|Televising the Holy Thorn 01||2020-01-31||Public||