"The Names and [...] of most of the nobilitie from Wm Conquerours tyme till ye yeare 1580. With ther severall Armes etc." Attractive illuminated late sixteenth-century manuscript in ink, with many coloured armorial illustrations within shields. This lengthy and interesting colourful manuscript, in several sections, includes the names of the principal nobles, by reign, from William the Conqueror to Elizabeth, with an illustration of their arms; a list of nobles created since the Conquest, arranged according to rank; an account of the Order of the Garter and a list of all the Knights from the foundation of the Order by Edward III; an account of the Order of the Golden Fleece; and illustrations of armorial bearings arranged according to the heraldic devices chosen, so that, for example, all the shields with Lions Rampant are grouped together, as are all the shields with birds or fleurs de lys. [Several index sections.] Some shields [and pages] left blank, and first line of title and some page headings cropped. In fine condition. --from Maggs catalogue
- In Collection:
- Shelf Mark: Ms.Brown.Eng.1
- 32 pages; vellum; plus frontspiece; 23 x 17 x 205 cm (pages 220 x 158 mm) 272 leave s, quarto [180x133mm], bound in later r ed morocco gilt.
- Statutes of the Order of the Garter, in Thirteen Chapters
- 26 lines to a page, ruled in red, written in dark brown ink in a calligraphic secretary hand with some flourishes, forty-seven illuminated initials (one 4-line, three 3-line, the rest 2-line) in gold, red and blue with white tracery, illuminated frontispiece with the arms of the order surrounded by the garter and surmounted by the crown. In a modern binding embroidered with the Arms of the Order. Fol. 2v bears coat of arms of the Order of the Garter under Edward VI, blue and red with silver and gold illumination (silver has tarnished somewhat).
- Medieval and Early Modern Manuscripts Collection
- Donated by Bruce and Dorothy Brown.
- Bruce and Dorothy Brown collection
- Special Collection Inventory: https://www.uvic.ca/library/locations/home/spcoll/collections/medieval/inventory.php.
- Archival finding aid: https://www.uvic.ca/library/locations/home/spcoll/findaids/brown_collection_manuscripts.pdf
- October 23, 2019 to October 24, 2019
- Transcription and description by Sydney Terepocki and Luke Oldfield, as part of coursework for a manuscript studies class with Dr. Adrienne Williams Boyarin (ENGL), April 2015, is available here : https://www.uvic.ca/library/locations/home/spcoll/documents/ms-brown-eng-1.pdf
- Scanned on Betterlight/TTI at 600 dpi TIFF (1/20;303 (some at 283);copy 4 stops; camera height 500) Item scanned in acrylic cradle and mylar used to hold pages down during scans. Work completed 23-24 Oct 2019 - PD. Metadata by KD.
- Contact Special Collections and University Archives for access to the original manuscript and for reproduction requests (fee for reproductions). This material is made available on this site for research and private study only.
This page supports the Zotero and Mendeley browser extensions simply click on the extension widget in your browser to save the objects citation.