Shows engraved sign over the front door of the Chinese Public School (華僑公立學校) and CCBA (Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association; 中華會館) signboard above balcony door of the School in Victoria, B.C. Photo taken on May 9, 2012. In 1899 the Chinese community in Victoria, B.C. organized a fund raising campaign to establish a Chinese school. The school was first located on the third floor of the old building of the Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association (CCBA) on 554-560 Fisgard Street. It was named Lequn Yishu (乐群义塾, Free School Enjoyed by Public). In 1909, CCBA completed a new building at 636 Fisgard Street to expand the original Lequn Yishu in response to racial and cultural segregation imposed by the school board and government. Lequn Yishu was renamed Daqing Qiaomin Gongli Xuetang (大清侨民公立学堂, Greater Qing Imperial Overseas Residence Public School) and it was changed into Huaqiao Gongli Xuexiao (华侨公立学校, Chinese Public School) since 1912.
- 1 colour photograph
- Signboard of CCBA and Chinese Public School
- 48.4294, -123.3679
- 48.4359, -123.35155
- Victoria’s Chinatown, a gateway to the past and present of Chinese Canadians
- Victoria's Chinatown Project Website: https://chinatown.library.uvic.ca/index.html
- Cataloguing metadata provided by MH. Migration metadata by MT.
- These images are provided for research use only. These images are provided with the consent of the Chinese Public School and cannot be reproduced or copied without permission. For more information, contact Dr. Zhongping Chen at email@example.com
This page supports the Zotero and Mendeley browser extensions simply click on the extension widget in your browser to save the objects citation.