One of a series of amateur motion picture films by Mathew Ko. Shot during a protest through Chinatown and downtown Victoria, B.C., and a Rice Bowl fundraising event for the war effort in 1939. Black and white: sea plane marked CF-AWE, dignitaries leaving the plane with procession and driving through downtown passing Quonley storefront sign [corner of Government and Fisgard] and Safeway sign. Colour: flatbed truck loaded with scrap metal. Protest, children holding signs reading “For peace, support embargo!” “Chinese Youth Forum protest this shipment of scrap iron to Japan,” and “We protest scrap iron shipment to kill women and children,” with others holding signs saying “For humanity, for world peace, stop scrap iron from Canada,” and more. Close view of piles of scrap iron with workers taking a break, protestors marching, close view of police, teenagers entering cars, people walking through Chinatown and Government street with signs, building number 572 Man Yen Law in background. This protest was against Canada providing Japan with scrap metal for wartime use. SS Princess Kathleen ship leaving Inner Harbour, people canoeing and suntanning. Speeches, crowds, chorus, and document signing in Chinatown [Save China Bonds]. Drumming and a lion dance parade, people entering and leaving the Fisgard Street Chinese Public School, sign reading “Rice Bowl Festival, Saturday October 28th, 1:00pm Lion Dance,” another sign reading “Tea Bazaar Exhibition Temple.” Groceries and flowers for sale on street. Two young girls posing with flowers [Patricia and Anita Tong]. Sign reading “Exhibit Room” presenting model airplanes, people purchasing tickets to enter. Cooking and music in the tea room. Setting up a panoramic photograph of attendees to the festival. These clips were initially intended for home, personal use. Silent film.
- In Collection:
- Scrap iron protest in Chinatown; Rice Bowl [festival and fundraising event]
- 53.99983, -125.0032
- 48.4359, -123.35155
- Kodak 16mm
- Mathew Ko Colour Films, Victoria's Chinatown and Region
- Mathew Ko fonds
- March 4, 2014
- Metadata by Lauren Chancellor
- Double-perf B+W reversal and color reversal. B-wind. Color is Kodachrome stock. 1938 and 39 Kodak date codes. Shrunken. Curls toward emulsion. Perforation damage and rough splices throughout. Occasional burnt frames. Dirt in gate. Some tramlines. Digitization by The Media Preserve
- NTSC 525
- additional metadata by MT
- Contact UVic Special Collection and University Archives for reproduction requests (fee for reproductions). This material is made available on this site for research and private study only.
This page supports the Zotero and Mendeley browser extensions simply click on the extension widget in your browser to save the objects citation.