One of a series of amateur motion picture films by Mathew Ko. Family at residential house [number 60?]. Decorated Memorial Arena entrance, people seated with programs for concert, rear view of band on platform, brass instruments seen left. Scene change: children playing in snow with broom, walking down steps, making snow piles. Ship at dock, front view. Family walks in snow on Government Street, rear view of ‘Unknown Soldier’ statue with Empress Hotel seen right. Ship sails, children playing in snow, young boy with mittens hanging from coat sleeves poses with vehicle. View of downtown Victoria from residential street, cars driving in snow, young boy eats snow, girl builds snowman, snowplough comes through street. Children feeding ducks in snow, frozen duck pond. Change scene: yellow and red tulips, bluebells in bloom, bees getting nectar in flowers, children take turns posing with tulips. Children in fancy dresses pose for pictures, some with bouquets. Parade of cars, marching women in traditional dress. Signage: “sweet Caporal Cigarettes.” Chinese Public School stairs lined with people, presentation with crowd on street. Girls pose for pictures. Parade through Government Street of cars, floats, CCBA members, women in traditional Chinese dress, baton twirlers, marching bands with legislature in background. Girls in shiny dresses, twirling in yard, celebration in park with Shriners, dance performances, martial arts demonstration. Family looking down from a view on a cement platform of rushing water from a hydroelectric dam and a forested area. Family picnic. These clips were initially intended for home, personal use. Silent film.
- In Collection:
- 48.4359, -123.35155
- Kodak 16mm
- Mathew Ko Colour Films, Victoria's Chinatown and Region
- Mathew Ko fonds
- March 4, 2014
- Metadata by Lauren Chancellor
- Double-perf color reversal. B-wind. Kodachrome stock with 1948 and 49 Kodak date codes. Weak splices throughout had to be reinforced. Some splices jump. Shrunken. 18 FPS. Digitized by The Media Preserve
- NTSC 525
- additional metadata by MT
- Contact UVic Special Collection and University Archives for reproduction requests (fee for reproductions). This material is made available on this site for research and private study only.
This page supports the Zotero and Mendeley browser extensions simply click on the extension widget in your browser to save the objects citation.